Sunday 27 May 2012

What..? Nearly the end of May? Surely not already!

Hello!

Well I cant believe its nearly the end of the month of May and I also cant believe how the weather has changed! It scorchio today as I write and in my south facing yard I didn't manage to last more than 15 minutes in the sun before retreating inside!

Well again, its been a bust couple of weeks but mostly due to assignment writing. Habitat Management - Management Plan for Thurstaston Common Local Nature Reserve and an Academic and Professional Development Assignment. Well when I say an APD assignment what I should say is 4 tasks all rolled into one assignment = lots of work! I have also had an exam for Habitat Management which was absolutely fine. So all of that has taken up most of my free time and the rest of it has been spent either going up to the allotment to check on the plants or potting up courgettes, sweet potato and tomatoes in the back yard.

I have been continuing with the volunteering too at Tam O Shanter Urban Farm which has been brilliant. I'm loving it there and just wish I could work there more as there is so much, in terms of interpretation, tidying up that I could be pottering with but at the moment Mondays fly there and I dont really get chance to do much more than the day to day tasks of feeding, mucking out and getting the animals in and out. Its great fun though and lovely to meet such a nice bunch of volunteers.


So last night was I think the first night of 2012 that I put the moth trap out in the back yard! It was great and after only a couple of hours I managed to get some micro moths and the two below. I'm not a whiz at identifying them yet without looking at the book (cant imagine I ever will - there are soooooo many) but I think the two moths below might be a Scalloped Hazel (left) and a Buttoned Snout (right). Not bad for the first night of moth trapping in deepest darkest urban Rock Ferry.

Scalloped Hazel



Buttoned Snout?

I'm planning on putting the trap out again tonight and trying to work out how to put it out at the allotment without the possibility of it getting stolen, answers on a postcard please!

No comments:

Post a Comment