Sunday 22 April 2012

Post holiday blues...

Hey all, well the sun has been shining but there is a grey cloud about my head a bit today...I think I have post holiday blues. After such a fantastic week in Iona its been back home with a bump! Fabulous to be back with Tom and Archie and be walking again over Thurstaston but Island life is lingering in my mind! Anyway despite this and a flat battery on my car this morning I have had an interesting morning at Bidston Hill and Tam O Shanter Urban Farm.

I met the Ranger for the area this morning and I will be volunteering with them for probably the next three months or so every Monday. I'm really excited about going there and I think the ranger was happy for some extra help on a Monday when he is short staffed!

After seeing the hebridean sheep at the hostel I am looking forward to learning a bit more about grazing stock and farm animals in general at the farm along with seeing how much experience I get working alongside the ranger too. The farm has a range of livestock including pigs (who enjoyed a good scratch off me this morning!), sheep, cows, donkeys, chickens, ducks, geese and bees! I don't think they have an up to date management plan so it might also be an opportunity to look at drafting one for my assignment for Reaseheath. So all in all I'm pretty excited.

More information on Tam O Shanter http://www.tamoshanterfarm.org.uk/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment